Dresser Painting Project

by , under For the Home

I recently acquired some 1980’s dressers from my fiancé’s aunt.  The outside looked like this…

 Before and After Dresser Painting Project   ||  thelittledabbler.com

 Before and After Dresser Painting Project   ||  thelittledabbler.com

… a laminated-type blonde patterned mess.

Before and After Dresser Painting Project   ||  thelittledabbler.comThe drawers were filled with mismatched contact paper.

 Before and After Dresser Painting Project   ||  thelittledabbler.comBut, structure of the dresser was perfect, and the inside wood looked brand-new as if it were right off the factory line.  I was super excited to find that out.  It meant all these dressers needed was a paint job and they would look brand-new!

So, I got started by pulling out all the drawers and taking off the hardware.  My kitties decided I was making a kitty organizer.

 Before and After Dresser Painting Project   ||  thelittledabbler.com

Please excuse my messy basement!

I followed the advice of several Pinterest posts and bought some Zinsser water-based primer (with the blue label) at Walmart.  What I love about this primer is that it has no VOCs and no odor, making it safe to use in the basement where I was doing this project.

Zinsser Water Based Primer used in the Before and After Dresser Painting Project   ||  thelittledabbler.com

Using a cheap roller and paint tray from Walmart, I rolled on a coat of primer, let it dry for a day, and rolled on a second coat.  Make sure that you use an absolutely DRY roller for each coat.  I made the mistake of using the one from the previous day, and it still had water imbedded in it from washing it.  For this reason, I suggest getting at least 2 or 3 roller pads/tubes for the project.

After letting the primer dry for a day, I put on a coat of interior semi-gloss paint.  I chose semi-gloss because I’ve read that it’s the best type of paint for a high traffic area.  My dresser top is definitely a high traffic area with belt buckles and baskets scraping on top.  Roll on a coat, let it dry for a day, then roll on the second coat.  Once again, make sure your roller brush is dry!

Finally, I spray painted the handles with silver Krylon spray paint.  Nothing fancy.

Now here’s where I really screwed up.  Notice right under the top drawers is a ledge made visible because the drawers are curved.

Before and After Dresser Painting Project   ||  thelittledabbler.com

 

I forgot to paint those!  Also, I had planned to completely remove the ugly outdated feet.  But when I put the dresser on its back (after having carried it from the basement all the way to the second floor) I found out they can’t be easily removed.  I would literally have to Saws-All it off, and that wasn’t happening.

In a pinch, I grabbed my silver spray paint, an empty plastic butter bowl from the recycling, and a foam brush.  I laid down a tarp under the dresser, right in the middle of my bedroom.  I went outside, sprayed the paint into the container, and raced in and painted the ledges and feet.  I had to do this several times because the spray paint dried extremely quickly in the container.  That was actually a good thing because, using this process, it also dried extremely quickly on the dresser and I was able to immediately start using it!

One thing I learned from this is to double-check where you need to paint before you paint and after you think you are finished.  Also, spray paint will melt styrofoam!  So, don’t use a styrofoam plate.

Here’s the finished product:

Before and After Dresser Painting Project   ||  thelittledabbler.com

Before and After Dresser Painting Project   ||  thelittledabbler.com